To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description Summary
The IT Security Analyst position is responsible for the day-to-day monitoring of University systems for intrusion, log management, vulnerability management, endpoint compliance, management of day-to-day security threads, and enforcing day-to-day IT security policy. The individual will also provide security analysis and design assistance to other IT units and investigate security incidents. This position requires technical skills along with the ability to collaborate with internal customers and vendors. You will become part of a culture that empowers employees, treats them with respect, and encourages innovation and open communication.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Investigate and respond to security alerts. 2. Log management. 3. Assist with implementing security related firewall policies. 4. Vulnerability management. 5. Work with various stakeholders to ensure vulnerabilities are remediated. 6. Manage security team servers. 7. Incident Response and analysis. 8. Work with other IT units to design and implement security controls or audit security state of resources. 9. Other duties as assigned. 10. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives. 11. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
• Bachelor’s degree in system administration, information security or a comparable degree program; or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience from which the required knowledge and abilities can be acquired. • Ability to obtain U.S. Department of Defense Security Clearance or already have it. • Must be a U.S. Citizen
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• 3 years of professional experience in an information technology-related field. • 2 years of professional experience with security monitoring and incident response.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
• Experience with incident handling • Experience working with forensic evidence. • Certification in information security (Security+, GCIH, etc.)
• Demonstrated ability to resolve complex security issues in an IT environment. • Experience with Linux or Windows server administration. • Demonstrated experience working with network protocols. • Experience working with IDS systems, including writing rules. • Demonstrated ability to work with vulnerability assessment tools. • Demonstrated ability to work independently. • Demonstrated ability to communicate security related complex issues. • Ability and willingness to work flexible hours and carry a cell phone.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
• Experience working with Zeek or Suricata IDS systems. • Experience working with network monitoring methodology. • Understanding of Cyber Security frameworks such as NIST, PCI, and HIPAA. • Experience working with law enforcement or other agencies. • Experience working with firewalls. • Experience working in a higher education environment or an environment with an open, diverse network. • Experience working with customers in a customer support environment. • Demonstrated success in, or potential future contributions to, working with persons from diverse backgrounds, creating a sense of belonging, and fostering a fair, objective, welcoming place to work for persons with a wide variety of personal characteristics and viewpoints.
Language, Mathematics and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable, No less than $75,000
Title of Position Supervisor
Senior IT Security Engineer
Internal & External
Dependent on Funding
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.