The history of MU is one of private philanthropy. In 1839, more than 900 Boone County citizens pooled their resources to establish the University of Missouri. To this day, that same spirit of generosity thrives among the Mizzou family. Thousands of people give to MU each year because of the passion and pride they feel for the university. Comprising 180 staff members with a presence across the United States and around the world, Mizzou Advancement announced the $1.3 billion Mizzou: Our Time to Lead campaign in October 2015.
Advancement Analytics is a new team focused on helping fundraisers identify and reach Alumni and friends by creating actionable insights through data. University of Missouri (MU) Advancement builds meaningful relationships with the Mizzou family and friends to support and advance the University.
This role will serve as a key member of the Advancement Analytics Team. You will work on machine learning projects to build solutions for needs within the advancement space. You will work on donor and alumni datasets. You will write and maintain SQL, Python and R code. You will be involved in learning new technologies and data science skills.
Success in this role might include:
* Using machine learning tools and techniques to answer business questions and translating output in a way that is easily understood and utilized by a non-technical audience * Identifying untapped data sources that are prime for insights and working collaboratively with staff across the division bring those projects to completion * Willingness to do data wrangling and analysis to meet consumer needs
Duties and Responsibilities include:
* Be the subject matter expert on developing new and improving existing predictive models in both R and Python
* Support data extraction, transformation and load (ETL) initiatives specifically using Oracle SQL, python and R both from databases and API's
* Provide support for text mining/analysis and natural language processing on structured and unstructured data
* Create, test and deploy models that will create actionable insights for a wide-range of Advancement users
* Visualize data using tableau, powerBI or cognos as well as other R and Python Libraries
* Document code and processes in data dictionaries and other documentation
* Keep current with the knowledge through literature, best practices and techniques in data science, and business intelligence communities
* Work in a collaborative team environment, sharing knowledge and newly identified sources with team and others
Salary: $47,476 - $70,000 annually
University Title: Senior Business Operations Associate
Internal applicants can determine their current grade and university title by accessing the Job Information page through the Additional Employee Info tile in myHR.
A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least 4 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
The successful candidate must have experience with deploying machine learning models into production. Someone with great communication skills, someone with an understanding of the principles of philanthropy and fundraising, and someone with the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of University staff at varying levels.
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, IT, Engineering, Statistics, Decision Sciences, Economics, Data Science and Analytics or related field, or equivalent experience * Four years of proven success in a position of similar responsibility, including work in data analysis, with experience gathering, analyzing, querying, and evaluating complex relational datasets. * Knowledge of advanced statistical modeling and machine learning libraries such as Scikit-learn (Python) and Caret(R) * Proficiency in R or Python and SQL * Prior experience with university constituent database systems or experience in institutions of higher education. * Ability to work in a collaborative team environment, sharing knowledge and newly identified sources with your team * Excellent customer service attitude with the ability to work with a variety of people * A strong work ethic with great attention to detail. * Excellent project and time management skills * A passion for higher education and the mission of the University of Missouri
Applicants who submit a cover letter along with a resume and university application will be prioritized.
Columbia Missouri Information
Columbia, Mo., is known as an ideal college town, combining small-town comforts, community spirit and low cost of living with big-city culture, activities and resources. Home to nationally renowned public schools and other colleges and educational centers, Columbia is packed with restaurants and entertainment venues and hosts more than a dozen annual cultural festivals.
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
The University of Missouri was founded in 1839 in Columbia, Mo., as the first public university west of the Mississippi River and the first state university in Thomas Jefferson's Louisiana Purchase territory. Today, MU is a $2.1 billion enterprise and an important investment for the state and nation. MU provides all the benefits of two universities in one: It's a major land-grant institution with a statewide mission of service to citizens and Missouri's largest public research university. Considered one of the nation's top-tier institutions, Mizzou is the flagship campus of the four-campus University of Missouri System. It is one of only 34 public universities, and the only public institution in Missouri, to be selected for membership in the Association of American Universities. The state’s most comprehensive university, MU offers more than 300 degree programs through 19 colleges and schools and is one of only five universities nationwide with law, medicine, veterinary medicine and a nuclear research reactor on one campus. Mizzou What is Mizzou? Learn about the history and traditions behind the name Mizzou has a diverse enrollment with 35,000 students from every county in Missour...i, every state in the nation and 120 countries. The favorite classroom for the best and brightest, Mizzou attracts more valedictorians, Curators Scholars and Bright Flight Scholars than any other college or university in Missouri. Twenty-six percent of MU freshmen come from the top 10 percent of their high school classes. MU’s nationally prominent faculty bring discoveries into the classroom, publish more than 1,600 books and scholarly articles each year and spend about $235 million annually on scientific research; they account for 70 percent of the research dollars flowing to Missouri public universities. Ninety-two percent of full-time, ranked faculty hold doctorates or the highest degree in their field.