NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
The Senior Windows/VMWare System Administrator, will be responsible for the maintenance, administration, and troubleshooting of the Windows server and VMware environments. S/he will handle primarily the provisioning & decommissioning of Windows physical and virtual servers, and perform routine monitoring checks to ensure that they are operational and performing adequately. S/he will utilize various tools to review the health of the guest operation systems and ESXi hosts, their workloads, and recommend any adjustments that need to be made to improve performance. S/he will coordinate with the application teams to keep them up to date with MS Security patches and handle all upgrades and updates to them based on agreed upon maintenance windows. S/he will implement changes and/or new features to support and secure the Windows and VMware infrastructure based on direction and guidance from the Server Engineering team.
- Provide maintenance and support of the physical and virtual servers as required for their day to day operation and utilization for Disaster Recovery activities
- Participate in the patch management process and deployments of Security patches to Windows servers and ESXi hosts.
- Perform any required software deployments via Alitiris or manual process upon request
- Upgrade BIOS and device firmware on the IBM, HP, Cisco, and Dell servers
- Deploy VMware security/bug fixes to ESXi hosts and MS Security patches to Windows servers including service packs, and perform any other planned maintenance activities on an established cycle
- Maintain an accurate and up to date server inventory in the CMDB with details such as the application name and application owner in the ticketing system
- Work with the Server Engineering teams to standardize the provisioning and decommissioning process for Windows servers and ESXi hosts
- Perform planned Operating System upgrades in conjunction with the Server Engineering team
- Coordinate and perform physical to virtual migrations and the decommissioning of the migrated physical server(s)
- Assist with monitoring and troubleshooting issues on servers; provision and decommission physical and virtual servers where required
- Coordinate and review the capacity needs for the physical and virtual servers (e.g. CPU, disk, RAM) based on information from the monitoring tools (vROPS) and schedule to add resources where required in conjunction with Application owners
- Proactively participate in virtualization support issues by identifying, researching, and applying solutions to a wide variety of technical issues
- Work with 3rd Party vendors and internal customers, interfacing with management personnel, to accomplish requested technical tasks
- Review and resolve helpdesk trouble tickets for servers. Participate in post mortem/RCA process for problems as appropriate
- Respond to assigned System Administration service requests and provide timely status updates on the progress of ongoing requests
- Serve as a technical contact on projects requiring the provisioning of physical servers and VMs
- Follow policies and procedures for change, problem, and incident management
- Participate in the on-call rotation 24x7 and planned maintenance activities after hours and on weekends
- Advanced knowledge of Windows Operating Systems 2008 and 2012
- Moderate knowledge of VMWare vSphere ESXi 6.x or above
- Moderate knowledge of VMware SRM, vRealize Operations Manager, Configuration and Update Manager, LogInsight
- Moderate knowledge of Symantec Altiris
- Working knowledge of supporting IBM, HP, Cisco, and Dell Server hardware with focus on HP Blade technology
- Working knowledge of IBM Systems Director, Dell OpenManage, Cisco UCS Manager, and HP IRS, HP OneView
- Microsoft certifications (MCSA, MCITP, MCSE) are a strong plus
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP) is a strong plus
- Excellent understanding of storage, network, and hardware technologies
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail and proven strong analytical/trouble shooting skills
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in a technical discipline is required (Computer Science preferred)
- 5+ years experience with Windows Operating Systems (2008 and above)
- 5+ years experience with medium to large vSphere virtual infrastructure environments
- 5+ years experience with SRM, vROPs, Configuration Manager, Update Manager, LogInsight, and/or other tools to manage VMware environment
- 3+ years experience with IBM, Dell, HP server hardware
- Experience within a healthcare environment is preferred
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.