The Manager of Research Computing Infrastructure Technology leads a team responsible for Northwestern University's Supercomputing (HPC) system, several on premise server and application environments, and cloud based research computing hosted in Amazon Web Services (AWS). You will perform Employee mentoring, track and guide team and individual work activities, foster and maintain positive relationships with key customers in all schools and departments across the university, ensure alignment of our team with Northwestern’s Research Computing Consulting group, and facilitate vendor relationships. You will work closely with the research computing consulting team to develop and execute best operational practices for current platforms, and guide evaluation of new and strategic architecture on premise and in the cloud.
- People manager for team of at least 4 individuals, responsible for mentorship, career development, workload assignments, technical oversight, building opportunities for individual growth of employees, and conducting performance reviews
- Personnel “resource planning” to effectively guide teams’ workload
- Financial management: Forecasting, operational and capital budget planning, cost-benefit analysis, vendor negotiations, salary reviews
- Chair evaluation of new technologies
- Maintain awareness of evolving information technologies through professional publications, outside contacts, and ongoing professional development
- Foster relationships with our vendors. Coordinate vendor product demonstrations, setup evaluation criteria, and guide recommendations for purchase of new hardware and software
Design & Implementation
- Direct team in the evaluation, planning, and implementation of hardware replacement and expansion, operating systems, utilities, analytical software tools, and HPC and research computing scheduler tools
- Guide evaluation, planning, and implementation of cloud based research computing services (Primarily in AWS)
- Ensure proper maintenance of HPC infrastructure (Compute, network, storage, backup)
- Represent team on leadership calls regarding fixing of hardware and software issues
- Oversee facilitation of HPC and Research compute “scheduler” toolset and activities
- Guide secure and efficient user and resource account creation and management
- Ensure team is adequately engaged with research computing consulting team to assist in defining appropriate computing platforms per workload type
- Guide the design and implementation of short and long term strategic infrastructure expansion
- Foster relationships with other NUIT groups, peer institutions, national research networks, service providers, and vendors
- Ensure team maintains and communicates appropriate policies and procedures for infrastructure administration
- Craft and reward positive and collaborative communication and team work within and across the organization
- Supervise team on consulting engagements with Service Operations, Research Computing, and Research Community to diagnose and resolve problems in a timely fashion while stressing user service and focusing on root cause analysis and resolution.
- Guide team to utilize available tools to monitor system performance and track operational metrics
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation schedule
- Act as project sponsor and project executive
- Work closely with and guide project managers
- May directly run small to medium projects
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4 year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree in a major such as computer science, information technology, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience
- Supervisory experience
- Vendor management experience
- Financial acumen (Previous experience negotiating and facilitating purchases of equipment and software)
- Advanced Linux Operating System Skills (services, security, networking, and file systems), Scripting and automation tool experience
- Systems Monitoring – Commercial tools and Linux log file analysis
- Intel Server hardware support experience
- Directory Services Knowledge
- Cloud environment knowledge and experience (AWS)
- Knowledge of application programming development functions:
- Infrastructure: Amazon Web Services (AWS), GlobusOnline, Hadoop, MapReduce, High Performance Computing (HPC), information security, Linux Operating System, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook), MOAB, Torque, Solarwinds, Puppet/Chef/Ansible, Server hardware, Storage hardware, Symantec NetBackup & Windows Operating System.
- Programming Languages and Frameworks: Python & Shell Scripting.
- Analytical: critical thinking, decision making, judgment, problem solving, read & interpret technical drawings & Troubleshooting.
- Project: budgeting, collaboration and teamwork, cost/benefit analysis, evaluate resources, facilitate collaboration, functional documentation, organizational skills, planning & write proposals and project charters.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to communicate technical details to non-technical audience.
- People Management.
- Decision Making.
- Meets deadlines.
- Crisis Management.
- Analytical and conceptual Ability.
- Masters level degree.
- Experience Deploying solutions to a cloud provider (AWS, Azure).
- Some application programming background.
- Network component system administration (Firewall, Switches, NIC Cards).
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Problem solving.
- Quality and compliance management and facilitation.
- Process and procedure creation.
- Results Driven.
- Strategic Thinking.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.