Assist in preparing various financial reports of the University and prepare quarterly compliance reports. Provide accurate and timely general ledger account reconciliations and prepare necessary journal entries. Review and process uploads and daily journal entries submitted to General Accounting. Analyze accounting activity and suggest policy and process improvements. Primary liaison with Student Activities. Oversee electronic filing for department and act as contact person for General Accounting training. Participate in LEAN projects on a continual basis.
1. Assist in year-end financial reporting for the University, including Schedules and Exhibits for the Internal Financial report. Analyze accounts and make any required corrections. Prepare audit schedules and respond to auditor's inquiries.
2. Prepare quarterly compliance reports to be submitted to the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
3. Prepare reconciliations for assigned balance sheet accounts. Review and process journal entries and uploads submitted to General Accounting. Monthly reconciliations including but not limited to the following: Vouchers Payable, Freight Payable, Cost of Goods Sold, University Transfer accounts, and Due To/ From accounts. Responsible for processing all General Accounting listserv changes.
4. Responsible for working with Student Activities regarding student organizations and their affiliated agency funds. Responsible for all student organization accounting issues. Process biweekly uploads to HUB and communicate with student organizations regarding all HUB financial issue. Process monthly deficit reports and monitor deficit fund balances. Process and reconcile external agency billings.
5. Responsible for overseeing all electronic retention and filing. Ensure annually that all General Accounting files have been uploaded to imaging system. Annually review General Accounting data in imaging system to remove items that are no longer meet the retention requirement in accordance with Miami University’s Retention Policy.
6. Subject matter expert for General Accounting training. Oversee updating General Accounting website. Responsible for monitoring General Accounting shared mailbox.
7. Perform other duties as assigned by Associate Controller.
Cover Letter, List of Three References, Resume
OEEO Statement: Miami University, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, is firmly committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University does not permit and takes action to prevent harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of sex (including sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking), race, color, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, military status, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. Miami University immediately investigates and takes disciplinary and/or remedial action when appropriate. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to Ms. Mary Jane Leveline at (513) 529-2027. Miami University’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
The position requires an Associate’s degree in Accounting with a minimum of one (1) year experience in accounting OR a minimum of five (5) years of relevant accounting experience. Requires a strong proficiency with PC-based software including a high level of ability with Excel and experience with other analytical tools. Excellent communication and organizational skills are required. Experience with fund accounting in a university or similar environment experience with Banner Finance or other ERP software preferred.
“Miami University, a student-centered public university founded in 1809, has built its success through an unwavering commitment to liberal arts undergraduate education, with complementary quality graduate programs, and the active engagement of its students in both curricular and co-curricular life. With a student body of 16,000, Miami effectively combines a wide range of strong academic programs w...ith faculty who love to teach and the personal attention ordinarily found only at much smaller institutions. Faculty and staff are highly valued for their contributions toward the Miami experience. Employees enjoy a competitive benefits package and stable work environment as they work to support the university’s educational mission.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles northwest of Cincinnati, with regional campuses located in Hamilton and Middletown, Ohio, and a center in Luxembourg. Known as one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation, Miami, the nation's tenth oldest public university, is recognized for its striking red brick Georgian-style architecture and tree-shaded lawns. Take a Virtual Tour from our website.”