| Advertised Summary Job Description: Reporting to the Executive Director of Data, Analytics, and Design, the Director for Military Affairs will assist with program and curricular development efforts for SPS programs to target military student populations, create an impactful student experience for veterans, drive veteran and military enrollment within the School, and drive successful employment outcomes for student veterans. The Director will engage with Student Affairs (SA) and Marketing/Communications on advising, admissions, enrollment, and veteran specific initiatives for the Data, Analytics, and Design programs and the School more broadly. The Director will also serve as the main point of contact for SPS's military students and alumni. |
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify military student populations and help strategize where we should focus (e.g., student profiles, career paths)
- Research veterans on career transition, with a focus on identifying transferable skills and capabilities that were gained through military service.
- Assess current programs for fit with the veteran market (e.g., content, structure) and current student recruitment, onboarding, services, and transition/career services capabilities in line with target market.
- Evaluate findings and recommendations of an executive summary with detailed analysis/documentation of interviews/process flows, as well as a high-level transformation plan.
- Execute findings/recommendations
- Implement innovative programs and partnerships to promote education and career pathways for veterans.
- Develop and lead facilitated discussions in the area of Military and Veterans issues
- Advise Student Affairs on the creation of an employment pipeline for student veterans.
- Lead SPS's Military and Veterans Initiative in partnership with current partners to determine how to best recruit, train, and employ talent needed to meet ever-evolving cyber security threats, and other relevant topics
Community and Engagement
- Foster sense of community & School identity through coordination of co-curricular & extra-curricular events.
- Advise students on their academic and career development
- Support recruitment by developing relationships and participating in information sessions
- Help with preparation, editing & distribution of marketing materials
- Presenting the program offerings on social media (e.g., Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Play an active role in increasing yield rates by meeting with students individually & in groups
- Represent the programs at recruitment sessions
- Actively engage with & systematically track students after graduation with an eye on creating an active alumni network/community
- Assist with SPS efforts to raise money for scholarship support
- Respond to requests & queries from faculty, students, alumni, prospective students, employers
- Coordinate with key stakeholders to determine desired future state characteristics
- Meet with departmental leaders, students, faculty, program leadership, alumni, and other schools/programs at CU that could be potentially partners or impacted
- Customize programs for military cohorts by partnering with likeminded initiatives and corporate partners.
A strong internal candidate has been identified; however, we are still accepting applications and will consider all qualified candidates.
General Minimum Qualifications: - Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
- 5 years of related experience
Additional Specific Minimum Qualifications: - Prior experience working with active duty or retired military and veteran groups
- Prior experience working in the academic areas of interest to the US Armed Forces and military groups (e.g., cyber security, training and education development for armed services)
- Prior experience at a leading research university
Preferred Qualifications: - Advanced degree in relevant field
- Experience in the military community
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Council of Ivy Group Presidents (Ivy League), it is imperative that members of the Columbia University community, in all matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program, exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education rules and regulations.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.