The Network Engineer and Computing Security Analyst is responsible for the design and operation of the telecommunications, networking and security infrastructure supporting Northwestern University in Qatar (NU-Q). Reporting to the Manager of Infrastructure Operations, this position is a “go-to” technical staff member that leads in design, engineering, and implementation of communications services at NU-Q, including voice, data, and video, and teleconferencing services and contributes security analysis for the remainder of the NU-Q enterprise infrastructure.
- This is an overseas position in Qatar, Middle East.
- On call 24/7 and weekend maintenance and upgrade work schedule.
- All final candidates will undergo a comprehensive background check.
- Leads in the installation and maintenance of networked communication systems to link networked processing platforms with each other within and outside the University. Participates in the configuration of equipment and software. Analyzes network traffic patterns and server system performance to resolve problems. Leads in the installation and maintenance of information technologies including, but not limited to servers, video, wireless communication, and telephony.
- Participates in projects and assists in the execution of project plans to help ensure compliance with security policy and standards. Develops, executes, or coordinates security projects, including deployment and operation of firewalls, intrusion detection and prevention systems and flow analysis tools.
- Participates in long range planning of future NU-Q, data, voice and video networking systems and security initiatives
- Provides technical support to users. Consults with users, diagnoses and resolves problems on multiple software or hardware programs.
- Ensures maintenance activities are scheduled and executed. Executes data backup and recovery routines on a specified schedule or as requested. Participates in the resolution of problems.
- Maintains awareness of evolving information technologies through professional publications, outside contacts, and ongoing professional development.
- In partnership with other groups (including NU departments, the Qatar foundation, technology counterparts of other University City schools) and NUIT management in NU-Evanston), supports the development of requirements for new services and applications to meet the needs of the campus community at NU-Q.
- Prepares and executes security assessments, analysis and remediation. Manages incidents and investigations, including those requiring the application of forensic practice.
- Assists in the administration of information security practice through development, implementation and enforcement of information security procedures and standards
- Interacts with the user community to understand their security needs, providing assistance and helping develop procedures as required. Helps to ensure that the user community understands and adheres to necessary policy and procedures to maintain security. Leads annual security awareness initiatives among the NU-Q community.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related field. OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a large complex network environment.
- 1-2 years’ experience developing and implementing computing security procedures and standards.
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP protocol suite.
- Conceptual ability.
- Decision making.
- Meets deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment, being willing to assist in other areas of IT as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or comparable relevant work experience.
- Strong knowledge of operating systems.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the operation system software.
- Expertise with TCP/IP protocol suite, including 8-10 plus years of experience.
- Direct experience with switching and routing protocols including BGP, OSPF, SIP and MPLS, data center design best practices and enterprise network best practices.
- Experience with quality of service across enterprise networks, VoIP and high availability networking environments.
- Experience providing a secure networking environment (both wired and wireless), including deployment and operations of firewalls, intrusion detection and prevention systems and flow analysis tools.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.